Saturday, April 30, 2011

Wii teamwork training

My boys love playing the Super Mario Brothers on the Nintendo Wii. However, they are usually screaming at each other within 15 minutes:
"YOU TOOK MY PROPELLER!"
"I LOST MY YOSHI AGAIN BECAUSE OF YOU!"
"WAIT FOR ME!"
"HURRY UP!"
"BOWSER BEAT US AGAIN BECAUSE OF YOU!"
"IT'S YOUR FAULT!"
"NO! IT'S YOUR FAULT!"

So, I started playing the game with them... as the Blue Toad. At first, I started leading them with strategy:
"We need a penguin suit and a couple of propellers on this level."
"One of the propellers has to stay back incase the first one gets lost..."
"Luigi with the fire suit has to protect Mario with the penguin suit until Mario reaches the water."

It was really fun to teach them what I know about defensive & offensive strategies in completing various levels, even the concept of sacrificing a character to achieve a goal. When I ask them, "Isn't it much easier to complete a level when you work as a team?" They answer, "YES!" The little one even added that some levels are impossible to do by yourself.

After a while, I noticed that they were taking turns leading the team through the other levels and working together. "You're better with the propeller, so you take it."

1 comment:

  1. More screaming this weekend because of this game, so I do need to retrain them on the teamwork concept. My guess is that it will take many refresher lessons.

    ReplyDelete